From hotcakes to snow candy, recreate the delicious frontier foods from Laura Ingalls Wilder’s classic stories!
"With Mrs. Taylor looking after Ma, and Pa tending to the animals in the barn, Laura and Mary and Carrie set about fixing everybody a big dinner." – Old Town in the Green Groves
Now you can make mashed potatoes like Laura and Mary!
To make mashed potatoes, you will need:
6 Large potatoes
Butter or milk
A large pot
A potato masher or hand mixer
1. Peel the potatoes and cut them into small pieces.
2. Put the potatoes in a pot and fill the pot with water, just covering the potato pieces.
3. Cook the potatoes in the water until they are tender when stuck with a fork.
4. Take the pot off the stove and drain the water. Careful—the water is very hot!
5. Mash the soft potatoes with a potato masher. You can also use a hand mixer, if you don’t have a potato masher.
6. Add slices of butter one at a time, or splashes of milk one tablespoon at a time, as you mash, until the potatoes are lump free. They should have a stiff, but smooth consistency.
Eat and enjoy!